Saturday, March 29, 2008

"Leavin' on a jet plane..."


This morning I’m flying to Minnesota to attend a planning meeting at St. John’s Abbey. I spent three years of my life living there in graduate housing – just a short walk from the Abbey Church. While I have referred to that time as the “exilic” period, it was also a time of grace. Thanks to the “Lilly Endowment” and an admissions committee who saw beyond my life on paper, I received a 100% tuition scholarship for three years of full-time study. That’s miracle number one!

I arrived at St. John’s in the fall of 1999 – a single lay woman committed to ministry in the Church. I left the School of Theology – Seminary in the spring of 2002 with an M. Div. and a monastic vocation - miracles two and three!

I have returned to Collegeville three times since graduation. Each time I am happy to see the bell banner of the abbey in the distance on I-94. I am happy to see faculty and staff to whom I owe a great debt. The sound of the monks singing usually leaves me with a lump in my throat. Something new was born in me there. Some little flame became a fire. And I will be forever grateful to GOD for making my way to Collegeville. It’s one of those places that changes you and gets into your heart. If you think you might want to study theology and commit your gifts to lay ministry, contact my friend, Brendon Duffy in Admissions. bduffy@csbsju.edu
(Next time, I'll tell you about the sisters of St. Benedict's Monastery - just four miles from here.)

Blessings and love to you all…

- Sister Vicki

PS – If I get the chance and the access, I’ll blog again before I return to Bristow. You’ll find me here for certain on Saturday, April 5th.