Tuesday, September 9, 2008

It's not easy being me...


When I make a mistake, it’s usually a beauty. I happily consider every invitation to speak and consult my prioress appropriately. I heard from a lovely parish group I met with last year and they asked me to come again in September. That “yes” felt so right. It was such a warm community of women – faithful women committed to the spiritual enterprise in their lives, in their families and in their parish. Well…to make a long story short, I said “yes” to another parish entirely! I had no idea this women’s group was a diocesan-wide program. I thought this one parish had this excellent program going and that I’d been booked for a second visit. I found out about the second parish when the first parish called to invite me back. Duh! All I could do was apologize to the friends I made last year at St. Gabriel and offer to come after the New Year.

Certainly there wasn’t too much harm done here. But the confusion has left me humble and shaking my head. I know God “writes straight with crooked lines,” but sometimes I feel as if I’ve completely lost my ruler! I know something good will come of my buffoonery, because something always does. Perhaps, there is someone I’m supposed to meet at Epiphany? Or, maybe the winter visit to St. Gabriel will be for someone’s good? I don’t know. I do know that this God, who stuffed all my neat little gifts and foibles into this clay jar, is NOT surprised by my blunders. This God just wants to turn them all into blessing. So, make friends with your next mistake and ask God to do something wonderous with your foolishness. God will.

Blessings and love to you all…

- Sister Vicki