Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Not red, not blue...but American


Last night I gave a presentation to the RCIA cohort at St. Michael the Archangel here in Richmond. (I love this parish!) I had spent the better part of the day with the events at the Capitol. As I drove to the church, I found myself feeling especially grateful for the quiet. There was so much to take in, so many wonders of the day; the time alone felt right.


The peaceful transition of power is a remarkable feature of democracy. The dignity and respect the President and former President gave to one another was a tribute to the greatness of our nation. No monastery can have two abbots. One must withdraw so the next can begin the next leg of the journey.


I’m sure most of you heard the speech live. I was moved by the beauty of President Obama’s words and the clear request for our help. Our President quoted Saint Paul and urged us to leave behind “childish things.” In the Rule of Benedict, we are cautioned against "murmuring" – giving speech to divisive thoughts or stirring up trouble with our complaints or gossip. I think President Obama may be asking the same of us as individual citizens.

I pray that we can keep becoming as a nation – keep refining the ideals that make us who we are as a people. I pray for freedom tempered with respect, civility in our discourse, protection of the most vulnerable, a peace that comes with justice and the proper stewardship of the resources entrusted to our care. I pray that our Congress will work as one for the good of all. I pray that our new President will have the wisdom and strength for the road ahead. And, I pray that this great nation, will sit among other great nations, as partner in the global goals of peace, health and prosperity for all GOD’s people.


Blessings and love to you all...


- Sister Vicki