Wednesday, March 26, 2008

The Community Room...


I played "Scrabble" last night. Along with the resurrection, I chalk this up to Easter miracles. I have never been very fond of board games. Just ask my fiercely competitive siblings how I would fold up like a chair under the pressure of competition. I didn't care very much about winning. I just wanted to have fun and be together. In my family of origin, "Hearts" could be lethal. My first "community room" was lots of fun when the TV was on, but when Milton-Bradley showed up, I wanted out!

Last night I decided that you haven't really lived until you play "Scrabble" with three generations of women. Last night the twenty-something and the forty-something lost to a dear sister in her 80's. I had the best time and continue to be amazed at how much fun games can be. For instance...when you play with a person in their 20's, "GQ" counts because of the magazine. I was given credit for ora, "prayer" in Latin. And Sister Irene got credit for "ho", which, for a woman of her generation, is something Santa says on the way down the chimney. Needless to say, we laughed a lot and really enjoyed a game that requires great thought and patience. I never stop learning things in the monastery. That's one of the reasons I love it so very much.

Blessings and love to you all...

- Sister Vicki