Friday, March 7, 2008

What the garden is teaching me...


I planted tulips in November – red and yellow ones, according to the package. I’ve never planted anything in my life so I’ve been a bit worried about them. I did read the instructions and made sure to put them in right-side up. I had hoped that they’d be blooming by the time we got back from Rome. Now, part of my morning routine is peaking out the back door to see if there are any signs of life. Sister Charlotte has been encouraging me – telling me not to worry and that they’ll come when it’s time. She was right! There are a few teeny-tiny little stalks peeking up through the soil. The leaves look distinctly tulip-like, even in miniature. Somehow, the sight of them beginning to surface has filled my heart with hope.

As we move through our Lenten journey, immersing ourselves in the Paschal Mystery, we strain for a glimpse of the resurrection. It would seem that our loving GOD has woven the strands of hope into the creation itself. The St. Louis Jesuits sing, “Wood hath hope. When it’s cut, it grows green again and its boughs sprout clean again. Wood hath hope.” (The album titled after this song was one of my favorites in high school. The poetry touched me even then…the possibility of life everywhere in GOD’s brilliant plan.)

Today, we know now that even the smallest particles of a cell contain the recipe for life. Snowflakes and fractals reveal the uniqueness of all living things – the dynamism and beauty of Architect's blueprint. The whole cycle of nature – seasons that move toward death, then reveal new life hidden beneath the surface…the dark of night that yields to the power and beauty of the dawn. The prophet Isaiah confirms the plan for our blessing. “For as the rain and the snow come down from heaven, and do not return there until they have watered the earth, making it bring forth and sprout, giving seed to the sower and bread to the eater, 11so shall my word be that goes out from my mouth; it shall not return to me empty, but it shall accomplish that which I purpose, and succeed in the thing for which I sent it (55:10-12).”

Tomorrow morning, Sister Andrea and I will journey to the Eastern Shore of Maryland to celebrate the resurrection of our friend, Sister Mary Paul. We will weep with her sisters and sing a song of praise to our GOD who, from the beginning of time itself, spoke the WORD who is life – Jesus, the Christ – in whom all suffering and joy find meaning.

Blessings and love to you all…

- Sister Vicki

PS – Look for a new blog on Sunday…