Monday, April 14, 2008

"Monastic Monday"...


Monastic Monday” is the title of the curriculum I designed for our high school. It’s a series of classes on Benedictine spirituality and tradition that follow our students through their four years at Saint Gertrude High School. One Monday a month I take a grade for the day (kindness of the Theology Department.) Today, I have the entire sophomore class divided into five sections. Our topic is “Lectio Divina” – the Benedictine practice of praying the Scriptures.
I see each grade twice a year. The second “class” for our seniors is a fieldtrip to visit the monastery.

I’ve been trying to remember how long we’ve been doing this as part of vocation ministry – three, maybe four years? Our hope is two-fold: 1) As graduates of a Benedictine school, they should be able to articulate something of our life form out in the world and take the values of Saint Benedict with them wherever they go and whatever they do. 2) Of the hundreds of students that have passed before me, perhaps one or two might consider a monastic vocation ten years down the road. Maybe, some aspect of our life will touch the heart and remain – a small seed planted in the winter of youth that might bloom in the springtime of adulthood.

The sophomore’s are a WONDERFUL class! I am enjoying every minute of this day. I asked for a volunteer in the first class to take pictures for the blog. I’ve never seen myself teach before. I get a little excited about things. J I never learned how to teach sitting down. It’s almost a full-body experience for me. Their energy and interest is a gift to me. I am grateful to the President and Principal of SGHS for supporting “Monastic Monday.” Visit our high school at: http://www.saintgertrude.org/


Blessings and love to you all...

-Sister Vicki