Monday, February 23, 2009

Listen...with the ear of your heart.


I’ve just returned from four days at the monastery. I headed north on Thursday to meet the first of six vocation guests coming in for the weekend. Twice a year we gather a cohort of new friends for a “Monastic Discernment Weekend.” Women I’ve been in conversation with in the last few months come to “check us out.”


It takes tremendous courage to spend a weekend in a strange place with 33 nuns you’ve never met. They come with a suitcase packed with hopes and dreams for their life in CHRIST. They come with hearts on fire with love and longing for GOD. They come with their fears about what a new path might mean.


I’ve participated in about ten of these “MDW’s” now. I am always in awe of the women who brave our new world. They remind me of myself – of that frightening first visit to the monastery nearly ten years ago. I remember the terror… the fears…all mixed-up with the knowledge that GOD is doing something new. I admire each one of these women for taking another step in the process of discernment. Each one blessed us in some way. Each one goes with our blessing and prayers. I pray that each one will find what they are looking for – that GOD will finish what has begun in them. I know GOD will. Until then…they remain in my prayers until we meet again.


Blessings and love to you all…
- Sister Vicki