Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Feasting with our Oblates...


On Saturday every Benedictine monastery celebrated the Feast of Saint Benedict. March 21st is the day our Holy Father entered eternal glory. It almost always falls in Lent, so the Church, in her compassion, gives monastics everywhere leave to really celebrate. (You might also know of the summer feast - July 11th - in which the universal church honors Benedict as "Patriarch of Western Monasticism.")


This year Sister did something different. Our Oblates in Richmond invited me to spend the day with them and offer a few thoughts about the season of Lent. With permission from my prioress, I readily agreed. I can't tell you how wonderful it was to pray the feast day office with nearly 20 people in the Chapel of our high school. Sisters Andrea and Charlotte Lange joined us for Morning Prayer. How lovely, for we who are on mission, to have such a festive prayer on a day when I'd normally be missing Bristow.
We decided to pray the real thing - all the special antiphons and a mode for the canticle. Our oblates were marvelous. They picked it up so quickly. The acoustics in our Chapel are just unbelievable so 20 sounded more like 30.

The retreat day went well, I think. I loved every minute of it. Sometimes, I can't believe my ministry includes such moments of grace. These good people, who are already oblates or who are in formation, gave me the gift of their faith. There is a place where people can meet in the heart - a place of wonder and oneness. I think we were there. They remain in my grateful prayers...


Blessings and love to you all...

- Sister Vicki