Wednesday, July 29, 2009

I like Martha...


Today the universal Church celebrates Saint Martha of Bethany. Or Benedictine ordo includes Mary, her sister, in the memorial. I like that Martha gets a day all to herself, poor thing. Martha is a real human being - the kind of saint that I can get really revved up about.

If you've ever been angry over an unjust situation, Saint Martha's your girl. If you've ever felt that your kind of holy wasn't holy enough, she' the one to pray to. If you've ever been filled with grief and faith all mixed up together? You are walking Martha's path.

OK...maybe I love her because she's always in the kitchen. No, it's more than that. In Martha I touch that place in me that LOVES work, but longs for contemplation. In Martha I find solidarity when hospitality and table service are my way to love and my greatest joy. In Martha I know that the Lord loves me just as I am - perhaps, especially when I my priorities are a bit skewed. Martha is fire and faith all in one fragile woman. Yes, I like Martha. And Jesus did, too.
Blessings and love to you all...
- Sister Vicki