Monday, August 31, 2009

Another "first"...


On Saturday I went to King's Dominion amusement park with the five women who are living with us and our postulant, Mary. It was the second annual adventure to Doswell, VA. The first was fine, but THIS TIME, Sister had FUN! Last summer I was living with some deadline and took my briefcase and laptop to the park. (I know - really lame.) This time I dressed like a normal person expecting to get turned upside-down several times. This time, NO briefcase or laptop. It was the most fun I've had in a long time. (OK, I was a little sore on Sunday, but it was worth it.)
The first ride was a killer - a ship that goes back and forth, and back and forth until is turns completely over. Not only that. When it reaches that 180 degree moment, they let you just hang there for several seconds and wish for death. I didn't scream once. I closed my eyes, covered my face and sang, "Hail Mary, Gentle Woman" in my head until it was over. It was an exercise in contemplation and trust. I am in awe of myself, still.

The water park was a hoot. Karen and Joanna came prepared with swimsuits. Pat and I got rid our sneakers and socks and got under the spray in our clothes because it was soooooo hot! I guess the highlight of the day was getting the tattoo - the TEMPORARY tattoo. It wasn't my idea, but I got into it the spirit of fun and rolled up my sleeve. I didn't want something silly, so I asked for the three most important letters in my life: osb. I'm really glad I decided to play with the women this year. It was good for my too-serious soul. Only 363 more days until we do it again!

Blessings and love to you all...

- Sister Vicki