Thursday, September 17, 2009

Sister goes back to school...


Last night I met 15 young women at the University of Richmond. I was invited by Catholic Campus Ministry to speak a bit about Benedictine spirituality. I arrived early - good thing, as parking was a challenge. (I even had to call on the BVM for help. I only do that when it's important not to be late. "Hail Mary, full of grace, help me find a parking place.")

I was greeted by a warm, engaging senior who walked me to her apartment. In a space shared by 4 women, 16 of us ate delicious spaghetti, salad and homemade garlic bread. Then, Sister set up her show and got down to business. In spite of "technical difficulties beyond my control," my new friends were able to "visit" our house - catch a glimpse of how Benedictine monasticism is lived in the 21st century.

I really love my job. I love being witness to the vitality of monastic life and its place in the building of the Kingdom. Most of all, I love meeting faithful women who are searching out GOD's will in their lives. As I looked out at that sea of eager faces, I felt a deep peace knowing that the future of the Church is secure in their care. These good women remain in my thoughts and prayers today. And, I send grateful blessings to Deacon Tom Mullen for making this wonderful night happen.


Blessings and love to you all...

- Sister Vicki