Monday, December 21, 2009

"Ice and snow; bless the Lord."


If you haven't already heard, the Mid-Atlantic states received anywhere from 12-24 inches of snow this weekend. That includes the Commonwealth of VA! It is an extraordinary happening for us...especially, we who live in Richmond. Snow in the south is always a small miracle. It was a beautiful storm. OK...it was beautiful AFTER I got out of the car!


I had the misfortune of being out in this blizzard Friday night. The storm began several hours earlier than predicted. I drove right into it going south on 95 at Fredricksburg. The drive from the monastery should have taken 2 hours. It took me 4 1/2! The last three miles of highway looks so deadly, I got off at an exit I didn't know and called the convent for help. [1-(800)-save-my-bacon!] Sister Charlotte knows the city better than anyone I know. She talked me home from Chamberlyne Avenue. When I pulled into the driveway at 9:30 PM, Sister Charlotte was standing in the snow, bundled up and ready to hug me. Sisters Denise and Connie Ruth were up, too. We had a little party to celebrate my survival. It was that bad!

So, today I am still feeling grateful...for having lived in MN where I learned to stay alive in a blizzard, for my Guardian Angel who must never get bored, and for the love of community which sustains me always - especially when I am lost and alone. How good this GOD is...how blessed I am to have all this love in my life.

Blessings and love to you all...

- Sister Vicki