Tuesday, February 5, 2008

Two Jubilees...


Today, we celebrate the jubilees of Sister Therese (40 years) from Uganda and Sister Maximillian (25 years) from Korea. The day began with a festive Eucharist in which the sisters renewed their professions and sang the ancient suscipe - "Receive me, O God, as you have promised that I may live and do not disappoint me in my hope. (Psalm 119:116)" It was very moving - especially since the ink isn't dry on MY profession formula! The power of the ritual and the gravity of the promise came home to me again in their recommitment of their lives to God in faith.

I was permitted to take photographs for the blog as well as for the jubilarians. The Preparation of the Gifts was especially joyful. Four sisters danced the bread to the altar while intoning an African hymn. Sister Therese left her place of honor to play the drum. It made me mis Sister Gisella very much. Her dancing has been such a gift to our monastic liturgy... The Korean sisters sang a BEAUTIFUL hymn after Communion - the harmony was exquisite!

After class and Midday Prayer, we had a very festive luncheon: special egg & spinach fettucine, turkey with mushrooms and peas, Ricotta Cheesecake, Carrot Cake AND, be still my heart, chocloate GELATO!!!!! (I took a picture so you all can see the very cute cup it comes in.) Tonight, we sing and celebrate some more in the sisters' Community Room. Then Compline, a little later than usual, and bed. Not a bad way to end Ordinary Time and prepare for the fresh start of holy Lent. That reminds me of a letter I need to write to the prioress...hmmmmm...
Love to you all and HAPPY LENT!



- Sister Vicki