Friday, September 12, 2008

"Family Visit"...


In the Rule Saint Benedict advocates a balanced life of prayer and work. For most monastics it is a life-long effort to find that equilibrium. Fortunately, the common life contains within it some customs and structures that help us to stay on track. Each year the sisters have one week of silent retreat to nourish the soul. Then, we have one week of vacation for rest and holy leisure. We are given is a third week for "family visit." For sisters whose families live at a great distance, this is a particular gift.


Today, I leave for a week with my immediate family in Charleston, SC. It's not our "home" per se, but because we have migrated there, "home" is about the people not the place. My "Dear Old Dad", Ed Ix, Obl. SB, is there. My two sisters, my brother and their families are all within 30 minutes of one another. For the first time I'll be able to hug on all seven nieces and nephews. I will be in Auntie-heaven! Today, I praise God for this wisdom-life, for the blessing of Benedictine balance and for our prioress who encourages us to be present to our families. Blessings and love to you all...


- Sister Vicki


PS - Look for a new blog on Saturday, 9/20.