Friday, October 17, 2008

The Divine "Economy"...


The First Reading today is taken from Saint Paul’s letter to the Ephesians [1:11-14]. In this pericope Paul describes the gift of the Holy Spirit as, “the first installment of our inheritance toward redemption”. This economic language seems odd to me, but given the recent events on Wall Street, perhaps Saint Paul will help us to focus on our greatest treasure – salvation through Christ JESUS. The Spirit, Paul teaches us, is GOD present to us here and now – in the midst of all that is human. But, the gift of the Spirit is only the beginning of the blessings poured out on us through Christ. There is no debt to pay – no balance due. We owe nothing for the gift of eternal life except grateful love. In death – our own death - we will come to know the fullness of life – “our inheritance” by grace. Sometimes, this is all too much for me – too wonderful to comprehend. But, I know that when I contemplate my own redemption, it frees me to love more deeply. When I remember that death has no power, I am, for just a breath, eternal. Such is the depth of GOD’s love for us in Christ. We are…and we remain in Him by the Spirit’s power…until the last “installment” is made and He comes again in glory.
Blessings and love to you all…

- Sister Vicki