Monday, January 7, 2008

January 7th

January 7, 2008

Rome – 12:46 PM

Good morning, America… It’s afternoon here. Damp and dark outside, not the best day for laundry, but it’s the first chance I’ve had since we arrived. There are two tiny washers and very long clothesline on the deck of the third floor. I couldn’t bear to hang my private garments in the wind, so the heater in my room now doubles as a dryer.
No siesta for me today. I couldn’t sleep last night. I saw 21:00…22:00…23:00. Then, when I finally nodded off, the coughing started and continued to disrupt me (and my neighbors) for the better part of the night, so, no nap. I want to be completely exhausted the next time I get horizontal.
At 3:00 PM today, a technician will arrive to hook our individual rooms to the internet. I am very glad for this service. We’ve been sharing two computers between 30 people. I’ve had only enough time to download the blog. Those of you who have sent a personal e-mail should here from me soon…
This morning Sister Aquinata taught us to color The Rule. At first, I found it very frustrating. As the whole class began to call out words to highlight, I started underlining only to have Sister Aquinata dismiss several answers. Then, frantic searching for an eraser…and a Technicolor© mess! I eventually caught up. You’d think a woman who loves highlighters would be a genius at this. Guess again!
I need to hit the books. Love to you all… - Sister Vicki