Saturday, January 12, 2008

It's all about the food...

Today, almost everyone got on the train for the city. I’m glad I decided to sit this one out as it is yet another cold, rainy Saturday in Rome. I hope Sister Veronica stays warm and dry… In the city you can just run from one church to another to get out of a storm. And, men with umbrellas appear everywhere when it starts to pour. “Umbrellas – E5!” When you say, “No, thank you,” they say, “E3!”

I did decide to get out of my room and get some fresh air in between rain showers. The local market is about a 20 minute walk. I enjoyed the walk but I LOVED the market! The Panorama was bustling with shoppers – all speaking Italian. One half is like a department store and the other is a food market - the likes of which I haven’t seen since my visit to Harrods in London.

I spent over an hour looking at exotic vegetables, meats, cheeses and fish. My only lament is that I don’t have a kitchen to cook in. I bought some fresh ciabatta, some smoked pecorino and a bottle of Montefalco Sangratino – a grape that grows only in Italy, in the region of Umbria. I hope Sister Veronica has enough energy when she gets back have a taste with me… I thought I was in love with Paris. Rome is a gastronomic wonder! The market itself is like a still life painting of the glory of food. I had to keep the camera out of sight, but managed a few photos. Enjoy my visual feast! Love to you all… - Sister Vicki