Wednesday, January 16, 2008

Random Thoughts...


I think we had rabbit for lunch today. It was about half-way through our midday meal that the possibility occurred to me. I thought to myself, "It's either rabbit or a chicken with a growth disorder." It was good, but after that thought surfaced, "seconds" meant pasta.


Today, I'm trying something new with the laundry. The european machine is so hard to understand. I never know if I'm pressing the right buttons. And, I have no sense of when the cycle is over, so my wash is almost always taken out by someone else and left in a basket. The thought of disrupting the flow of sisters' laundry is mortifying to me. So, today, I'm washing in my little "studio." That means, a bucket, laundry soap and lots of hands-on, old-fashioned elbow grease. It's kind of fun - first time, and all. We'll see how long that lasts. For now, the privacy and flexibility appeal to me greatly.


Sister Veronica has gone to the market this afternoon. I can't wait for her to get back to hear her reaction to the wonderous foods... Last time I went, I brought her Italian potato chips and a COKE. We're feeling the absence of "treat night" at Bristow. That once-a-week junk food fix doesn't seem to happen here - perhaps why we are both losing weight. We're eating like hungry girls at every meal, but somehow, we're always hungry. OK...I'M always hungry. Could be the clock on my stomach is off, too.


We covered the entire "Life and Miracles of Saint Benedict" today. Sister Pauline did a wonderful lecture highlighting the themes in Book II and their relationship to desert spirituality and ascetic tradition. It was alot...but good stuff to chew on. (I'm still talking in food language!)


Good news...I feel great and my body seems to be on Italian time now. (Only took me two weeks!) Bad news...the doctor wants to see me Friday for another culture to make sure the strep is defeated. Sister Veronica and I will go together. I'm pretty sure we can find our way to the hospital together - with the help of MAPQUEST. (Can you believe it works in Italy, too?) Then, we'll have lunch together someplace fun. I found an enoteca - "wine library," is the literal translation - near the Piazza Navona. It's a regular trattoria that serves numerous wines by the glass. This way, we can journey to a couple regions and never leave the city. Smart, huh?

Love to you all... - Sister Vicki